try/except/finally

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:43:19 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.10972.1402432630.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah. As soon as you take on board a hard-and-fast rule, you open
>> yourself up to stupid cases where the rule ought to have been broken.
>> I don't know a single piece of programming advice which, if taken as
>> an inviolate rule, doesn't at some point cause suboptimal code.
>
> How about, "Don't use PHP"?

Actually, that one might fit now. In years past, that advice would
often lead you to write very expensive code, because it couldn't be
run on a cheap web host - if you write something in Python, you have
to pay through the nose, but any piece-of-rubbish host will give you
PHP. That may now be changing, though.

ChrisA