What can Nuitka do?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 02:16:37 EDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM, CM <cmpython at gmail.com> wrote:
> The nuitka file starts with
>
>     #!C:\Python27_32\python.exe
>
> and is a Python script. It says in a docstring,
>
> """"
> This is the main program of Nuitka, it
> checks the options and then translates
> one or more modules to a C++ source code
> using Python C/API in a build directory
> compiles it to either an executable or an
> extension module that can contain other
> modules. """
>
> I'm confused as to why it's not just a .py
> file.

On a Unix system, you'd execute that with the name "nuitka". Although
it seems to have had your Windows Python executable's path patched in,
which presumably would be replaced with /usr/bin/python or something
on Unix.

> The nuitka.bat, aside from some
> remarks, is this:
>
>     @echo off
>     setlocal
>
>     "%~dp0..\python" "%~dp0nuitka" %*
>
>     endlocal

And that's just calling on Python. I'm not familiar with the %~dp0
notation, but I'd say it's taking %0 (the name of the batch file) and
taking just the drive and path from it. This should work, once you
have your Windows path pointing to this directory.

The one thing I'm seeing here is that your PATH has
C:\Python27\Scripts\ but your script says C:\Python27_32\python.exe -
what is the actual directory name for your Python directory? Did you
rename it? It could be that something unrelated is causing problems.

ChrisA