Question about Source Control

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Mar 21 06:17:00 CET 2014

On 21Mar2014 13:14, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> > Regarding having Mercurial installed, that is very easy, and after
> > you've gone (eg):
> >
> >   hg clone https://bitbucket.org/cameron_simpson/css my-copy-of-cameron's-css
> >
> > (or wherever the public repository is published), you can of course
> > then walk away and work. You no longer need the public copy at all.
> >
> > With a DVCS the threshold is low and the advantages are high (hg
> > or git; I'm an hg person myself).
>
> Yes, it's not hard to get Mercurial. And it's not hard to get git. But
> it is an extra barrier, and trying to tell people they need
> this-that-and-the-other just to get your software is a pain.

I thought Frank's scenario involved someone cloning/forking the
software. I may have misread him though.

Of course, for people just wanting to build it or examine it,
tarballs and other archives are highly desirable.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Rules of Optimization:
Rule 1: Don't do it.
Rule 2 (for experts only): Don't do it yet.
- M.A. Jackson