cx_freeze and temporary files - security related question

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 21 13:29:19 EDT 2014

On 5/21/2014 12:42 PM, Nagy László Zsolt wrote:
> I need to create an application for Windows 7 that runs from a flash
> drive. This program would be used to create remote backups of the
> pendrive. The pendrive contains sensitive data, so when I plug in the
> pendrive and run the program to make a backup, it should not leave any
> trace of operation on the windows system. The information is so
> sensitive that I was forbidden to use cloud storage. I was also
> forbidden to make backups to a local drive, or leave any trace on the
> host windows system.
>
> The question is this: if I create this program with Python 3.4 and
> cx_Freeze, then what should I expect.

I know that Python can be compiled so that it runs without being
installed, as from a usb plugin. I forget the name on pypi. I know
nothing whether cx_Freeze works for that.

 > When the user starts the
> cx_freeze-d program from the flash drive, will it create temporary files
> on the system drive? Will it leave log files or store any permanent or
> temporary data on the system drive (maybe in the user's tmp folder) that
> can later be used to tell what drive was mounted, with what parameters
> the program was started etc.

I am really sure that *python* does not do anything like that, but do
not bet your job on my say so. I believe it can run from a read-only
directory or device. I don't know what *windows* might do that I do not
know about.

--
Terry Jan Reedy