Messages from code analysis tools (was: Using map())

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 17 02:21:06 CET 2014

Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> writes:

> Pylint isn't useful until you've tailored the messages.

Definitely agreed.

> The pylint message that always irked me was:
>
>     W0142: Used * or ** magic
>
> "magic"? They're features of the language!

It's a warning, because the use of that feature clobbers the static code
inspection you've asked for. PyLint is warning you “because the code
uses this feature, I can't say anything about undefined names”.

--
 \       “The future always arrives too fast, and in the wrong order.” |
  `\                                                    —Alvin Toffler |