Validation in Python (was: raise None)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 30 19:26:14 EST 2015

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> I have a lot of functions that perform the same argument checking each
> time:

Not an answer to the question you ask, but: Have you tried the data
validation library “voluptuous”?

    Voluptuous, despite the name, is a Python data validation library.
    It is primarily intended for validating data coming into Python as
    JSON, YAML, etc.

    It has three goals:

        Simplicity.
        Support for complex data structures.
        Provide useful error messages.

    <URL:https://pypi.python.org/pypi/voluptuous/>

Seems like a good way to follow Don't Repeat Yourself in code that needs
a lot of validation of inputs.

--
 \     “It's my belief we developed language because of our deep inner |
  `\                  need to complain.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin |