Downloading videos (in flash applications) using python

Gabriel Ferreira gabrielbianchiferreira at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:21:07 EST 2015

Mark Lawrence  wrote:

> I don't actually know, but could you please provide some context and
> write in plain English, those damn ... things are extremely annoying.

Hi, Mark.

I am developing a research project, which includes video analysis (computer vision, big data, data mining, etc). The first part of the project is about building a database containing a big amount of video of urban zones. I live in Brazil, so the plan is collecting videos from urban areas of Brazilian big cities, like Sao Paulo.

I have to make this task "automatic". in other words, I don't want to manually download hundreds or thousands hours of videos. So I have to develop a "robot" to do that assingment for me. (I wish I could do that using Python).

I have found a good website that provides me live images from several cities in Brazil. So that's it! That's what I need. I was expecting to develop a program to record & download those videos, that are being broadcasted live on that website. So I would be able to form my database and continue my research.

The problem is that this particular website uses a flash player application do broadcast the live images of the urban areas. I'm not too familiar with Flash Applications. I don't know how to deal with them using Python. I was wondering if someone could help me solve this problem. The goal is recording & downloading those videos, from the mentioned website. And, yes, it has to be an automated program (no manual work).

I wish I had been clear with you guys!

THX!