Standard

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Feb 22 09:31:39 EST 2015

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Phillip Fleming <carnovg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> In my opinion, Python will not take off like C/C++ if there is no ANSI
>> standard.
>
> On one side of your statement, what makes you think Python ever wanted
> to "take off like C/C++"? On the other side, there are other languages
> (Java, PHP, Perl, Tcl) which have done pretty well without ANSI
> standardization. Python as well, as done fine in my opinion without an
> ANSI standard.

I'm pretty sure that Python is doing pretty well, popularity-wise. Depending
on how you measure it, it is even more popular than C!

http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/1388.html

I don't actually believe that Python is more popular than C. It's just that
there is no one single definition of popularity for programming languages,
so depending on how you do your measurement, you get different results. In
any case, Python is consistently in the top dozen or so languages. Any
suggestion that Python "will not take off" is laughably wrong and a decade
too late.

> I can't help but think I've just given a troll a carrot though...

Very likely :-)

--
Steven