Letter class in re

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Mon Mar 9 07:06:42 EDT 2015

Op 09-03-15 om 11:37 schreef Wolfgang Maier:
> On 03/09/2015 11:23 AM, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> I am using PLY for a parsing task which uses re for the lexical
>> analysis. Does anyone
>> know what regular expression to use for a sequence of letters? There is
>> a class for alphanumerics but I can't find one for just letters, which I
>> find odd.
>>
>> I am using python 3.4
>>

> how about [a-zA-Z] ?

No, that limits the characters to ASCII-letters.

This is what the doc says about the alphanumeric class:

\w

For Unicode(str) patternsL
    Matches Unicode word characters; this includes most characters that
can be part
    of a word in any language, as well as numbers and the underscore. If
the ASCII
    flag is used, only [a-zA-Z0-9_] is matched. ...

So what I want is a class that just includes those characters that can
be part of
a word in any language.