Did https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ became huge and slow?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 10 07:55:20 EDT 2015

Miki Tebeka wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>     $ time curl -I https://pypi.python.org/pypi/
>     HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>     Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 10:24:30 GMT
>     curl -I https://pypi.python.org/pypi/  0.02s user 0.00s system 2% cpu
>     12.271 total $
>
> Note the long time (for comparison hitting python.org takes 0.209 total)
> and the size (Content-Length).
>
> Anything gone wrong or am I missing something?

I don't know. Am *I* missing something? What makes you think this is a
problem?

You're downloading via https, which has more overhead than http. There's a
certificate that needs to be checked, the content can't be cached, and
there's the cost of encryption.

Do you have some reason for thinking that the content-length should not be
9870689 bytes? Should it be less or more?

Have you tried opening the URL in your browser?

--
Steven