Code hosting providers

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Mar 13 19:38:09 EDT 2015

On Friday 13 March 2015 17:13:41 Paul Rubin wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
> > In the meantime, I get zero-dollar hosting of my repos, including
> > zip download and such ...  You're welcome to shun them. There is
> > definitely benefit to encouraging a multiplicity of hosting
> > services. But I'm not bothered by the GitHub non-free-ness, because
> > I take a less philosophical and more pragmatic view of things.
>
> But you're making the problem worse for other people too.  For
> example, I can't file a bug against your code or send you a pull
> request, without enrolling in Github myself.

That alone is grounds enough to get the heck out of github.  This is
classic vendor lockin, or lockout if you don't want to play by githubs
rules.  A classic demonstration of TANSTAAFL if there ever was one.

The above quoted problem YOU, Chris do not see, but that should be reason
enough to bail out AND take your code with you before you find yourself
locked out of your own code.

Running your own server is a piece of cake, and if I, at 80 yo, can do
it, I don't see a single reason you can't do likewise.  The code I
write, for what is called a legacy computer, is just one of the things I
share at the link in my sig.  That link is actually _this_ machine.
Sure, I blow my own horn a bit, & you have to look at my ugly mug while
it loads on the front page, but that is the only advertising you will
ever see on that site.  If I am still breathing regular when the 5 year
namecheap registration expires, I'll renew it for another 5 years.  I'll
be approaching 84 yo then.

That namecheap registration, and the electricity to run it are my only
extra expenses over and above my use of the machine as a web tourer, and
an email system.  Or as a remote terminal into one of my milling
machines so I can write gcode and test execute it here in a comfy office
chair, which beats the hell out of extended periods standing in front of
the machines own keyboard.  An hour of that at my age is very painfull.

But don't even think of using the std http port 80, thats blocked at your
isp, precisely to force you to use, and pay for, space on their servers.

Your /etc/services contains a list of ports, and what they are supposed
to be used for. The 6309 that I use, is the simplified jedec number of a
cpu chip that can be transplanted into a TRS-80 Color Computer to
replace its normal 6809, is 10%  faster at the same clock speed, and
often 4x faster than a 6809 with some of its added instructions.  It was
not listed in /etc/services, so there was zero reason not to use it as I
wasn't stepping on any toes to use it.

Surely this group can look at the ascii code for the word python, and
come up with a port number that is unique AND not in /etc/services.  If
you all do that, and agree on a common port number you will establish a
common port number that can be used for python code interchange and even
broadcasting among the group.  Since thats a 4 byte wide hex number, and
there's 65536 of them, it shouldn't be that hard to find one that will
serve the purpose.

But I do also,  have a router running dd-wrt facing the net, my guard dog
with the big teeth.

It (that number) will in time, become that standard.

> You can get a whole virtual server from Amazon for free that is
> perfectly good for hosting git repos and lots of other things too, or
> you can get them for a few dollars a year in other places if you don't
> want to deal with Amazon.  Github adds some conveniences but I've
> never understood the attraction and mystique around it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)