Code hosting providers

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 23:41:16 EDT 2015

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 23:13:17 -0400, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>
wrote:

>> That's taking things too far. And when people speak of hosting your
>> own server, they don't necessarily mean hosting in your home computer.
>> Speaking for myself, I refuse to collaborate on any project that is
>> hosted on some dude's personal computer.
>
>Chuckle.  1. My finished, running code is copied to at least 200 other
>users machines because it is useful code.

I said collaborating, not just downloading your code. By collaborating
I mean forking and branching your project, making pull requests,
merging, opening and closing tickets, etc.

>> If you are the sole developer of your project, why not.
>
>Generally I am, unless a circuit board is under construction in our
>group, in which case I might offer to make a couple of non-plated thru
>copies if I get to keep one for my time. However, on my small machinery,
>mechanical etching, while great on the environment as there's  no
>downright nasty chemistry to dispose of, is also very slow, limited by
>the 2500 rpms max speed of the spindle, so a busy double sided 4"x8"
>board is over 8 hours to machine.  That big, I'd also have to make a
>vacuum pallet, which for a given sized board is about a day.

You aren't talking about software anymore... I don't know why you are
telling me this.

>> But if that is
>> the case, I'd say most project managers are just overkill and the
>> choice of what to choose shouldn't even be considered. Just grab your
>> VCS of choice. Issue tracking can be safely managed in your code with
>> TODO and FIXME. If by any chance you need to work on more than one
>> computer, don't bloody open your ports at home. Just get an usb pen
>> and make a bare repo in there from where you can push/pull.
>
>And if the next box you plug it into has a different first user number,
>and you don't have a root account handy, how do you access the data,
>written say on a fedora system, but you need to read it on a debian
>system. And you are not the first user, and you are not in /etc/sudoers.
>
>Go ahead, I'll wait for you to suss that out. :)

What do you mean? If you have those problems with a bare repo in a usb
pen, you will have those problems with a bare repo anywhere, including
in your computer back at home.

How do you propose to solve any local access previligies by having
your project management system hosted at your home? I don't
understand.

...I'm getting the feeling we are talking of different things.

>What for?  I keep backups using amanda.  Because of that, and despite
>several hard drive deaths, my email corpus for some mailing lists is now
>13 yo, and several gigabytes.

Right. You won't ever lose your data. Heard that before.

I'm a bit old too, you know. And I learned the following, back in the
late 80s when I was initiating my computer carreer doing nightly
backups on a ES9000:

"You will never lose your data until you lost it."

>Question:  How much money is this group, taken as the whole of the python
>world, spending on remote hosting per month?

I'd wager very little, since most options are completely free.