PEP idea: On Windows, subprocess should implicitly support .bat and .cmd scripts by using FindExecutable from win32 API

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu May 7 08:41:30 EDT 2015

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> I was specifically disagreeing with the notion that it's right and
> normal to write a bunch of platform-specific code in Python. That
> should be the rarity.

Why is that?

Code is written for a specific need and environment. Often trying to
write generic solutions leads to cumbersome and clunky results on *all*
platforms.

A software system is defined through its interfaces. Natural system
interfaces are very different under different operating systems. The
chosen programming language for whatever component is often an
afterthought. I'm glad I can still write native Linux code using Python.
I couldn't do that with Java, which doesn't have things like os.fork(),
file descriptors or process ids.

Marko