anomaly

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Mon May 11 09:37:48 EDT 2015

On Sun, 10 May 2015 14:12:44 -0500, boB Stepp wrote:

> I have to admit being surprised by this, too. I am just now studying on
> how to write my own classes in Python, and have come to realize that
> doing this is *possible*, but the *surprise* to me is why the language
> design allowed this to actually be done.

Read Cory Doctorow lately on the War Against General Purpose Computing,
where a bunch of people who don't really understand are trying to make it
impossible for any computer to do something that is The Wrong Thing.  Or
gently approach the relevant computing theory through Doug Hofstadter's
_Goedel, Escher, Bach_, or some essays in _Metamagical Themas_.
Generally speaking, making a computer totally incapable of doing Wrong
Things leaves it incapable of doing anything at all.

	Mel.