anomaly

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed May 13 03:07:35 EDT 2015

Op 12-05-15 om 15:56 schreef Steven D'Aprano:

> On Tue, 12 May 2015 09:55 pm, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> Op 11-05-15 om 16:13 schreef Chris Angelico:
>>
>>> Why does Python have most built-ins as simply looked-up names that can
>>> be overridden? Because otherwise, there would be a veritable ton of
>>> keywords:
>> But that doesn't answer the question why the developers chose "True" to be
>> a keyword and "int" to be a looked-up name.
> No it doesn't. But then, nobody until now has *asked* that question, merely
> commented on it as a fact.

Whether the question was asked or not is unimportant. Somebody felt the
some need for justification, because otherwise there was no need to
mentions this fact. There are thousands of facts about python, so
why mention this and not an other? Not because he wanted to mention
a fact but because he wanted to make a point and that point was bogus.

> If you go all the way back to Python 1.5, not only did True and False not
> exist as built-ins, but None was not a keyword:

This is completely irrelevant.

>> and pretending to justify that choice by stating that the python thought
>> is: We're all adults here, if you want to override a builtin, who are we
>> to stop you. That is disingenuous.
> No, it's quite sensible, given Python's stated position: it's not an
> authoritarian B&D language like Pascal, nor is it a permissive "anything
> goes" language like C.

You are arguing at the wrong level and thus not addressing my point.
I don't think it is useful to continue further.