Building CPython

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 13 15:58:13 EDT 2015

On 13/05/2015 20:36, BartC wrote:
> I'm interested in playing with the CPython sources. I need to be able to
> build under Windows, but don't want to use make files (which rarely work
> properly), nor do a 6GB installation of Visual Studio Express which is
> what seems to be needed (I'm hopeless with complicated IDEs anyway).
>
> Is it possible to do this by using mingw-gcc to compile the .c files of
> the Python sources one by one, or is it one of those complicated
> projects where some of the source is generated as it goes along?
>
> I thought I'd start with the source file containing Py_Main and continue
> from there, but some modules compile and some don't, obscure errors that
> I don't want to investigate unless it's going to be worthwhile (ie.
> eventually ending up with a python.exe that can run simple .py programs).

Before you spend too much time on the mingw route, check out the
outstanding issues for it on the bug tracker.  Then you'll maybe realise
that using the supported VS setup is far easier.  Everything you need is
in the PCBuild directory, including pcbuild.sln for use with VS and
build.bat for command line use.  Details here
https://docs.python.org/devguide/setup.html#windows

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence