Best way to rewrite Popen

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Tue May 19 13:43:06 EDT 2015

On 19.05.2015 19:01, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> At the moment I am playing with things like:
>     p = subprocess.Popen('ls -l', shell = True, stdout = subprocess.PIPE)
>
> I think that most of the times this are the values I want. So it would
> be nice to overrule the defaults. What is the best way to do this?

I would like to answer with a counter-question: Why do you want to do
this? What is the reason to use ls -l if you could also be using
os.listdir() or os.scandir()?

There are some reasons against screenscraping `ls` (locale-specifities
and environment variable dependencies of ls) and using shell=True (with
shells being huge complex beasts which may have unexpected security
issues, see Shellshock), so I’m not sure why you would want to do that.

regards,
jwi