Camelot a good tool for me

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri May 22 09:29:06 EDT 2015

On 22/05/2015 14:11, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Op Friday 22 May 2015 14:38 CEST schreef Dan Sommers:
>
>> On Fri, 22 May 2015 09:59:02 +0200, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>
>>> Would Camelot be a good tool to get me started, or can I better
>>> bite the bullet and just start with Tkinter and SQLAlchemy?
>>
>> Bite the bullet and learn SQL.
>
> I know SQL. Until now I almost always did everything with SQL. The
> problem is that you are expected not to use it. With Python you are
> supposed to work with SQLAlchemy and with Java Hibernate.

Not at all. You're supposed to work with whatever is most effective for
yourself and any collaborators you may for the project you're working
on. (And by "effective" I include "giving the most satisfaction").

I use raw SQL most of the time (with a very lightweight wrapper), and
very occasionally I use SQLAlchemy where I find myself re-implementing
it poorly (to coin a phrase). But that's me. And I've been a
professional database developer for 25 years, most of it having nothing
to do with Python.

SQLAlchemy's great; it's worth taking the time to learn how to use it.
But certainly don't feel you *have* to.

TJG