Fixing Python install on the Mac after running 'CleanMyMac'

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Fri May 29 09:55:31 EDT 2015

> On May 29, 2015, at 9:12 AM, Cem Karan <cfkaran2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On May 28, 2015, at 11:47 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
>
>> webmaster at python.org just got some mail from some poor embarrased
>> soul who ran this program and broke their Python install.
>>
>> They are running Mac OSX 10.7.5
>>
>> They are getting:
>>
>>    Utility has encountered a fatal error, and will now terminate.  A
>>    Python runtime could not be located. You may need to install a
>>    framework build of Python or edit the PyRuntimeLocations array in this
>>    applications info.plist file.  Then there are two oblong circles. One
>>    says Open Console. The other says Terminate.
>>
>> So https://docs.python.org/2/using/mac.html says:
>>
>>  The Apple-provided build of Python is installed in
>>  /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and /usr/bin/python,
>>  respectively. You should never modify or delete these, as they are
>>  Apple-controlled and are used by Apple- or third-party software.
>>
>> So, I assume this poor soul has done precisely that.
>>
>> What do I tell her to do now?

As a minor addendum - you can point out that “Clean My Mac” is a well-known piece of crap-ware that is so badly written as to be labeled by most people as malware.  Best possible solution would be a clean boot and restore from a recent clone (either CarbonCopy Cloner or SuperDuper) followed by a restore of intervening files from Time Machine.  Failing that, Cem’s suggestions are good.

-Bill