What is considered an "advanced" topic in Python?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 29 12:09:53 EDT 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:01 AM, Mike Driscoll <kyosohma at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been asked on several occasions to write about intermediate or advanced topics in Python and I was wondering what the community considers to be "intermediate" or "advanced". I realize we're all growing in our abilities with the language, so this is going to be very subjective, but I am still curious what my fellow Python developers think about this topic.

Good fun! A few ideas:

How to write decorators, particularly those that take parameters.

The differences between the various number types (int, float, complex,
Fraction, Decimal) and when you'd want each one.

(CPython-specific) The dis.dis() function and what it can tell you
about how Python operates

These are all topics that have come up with my students; they're
advanced enough to be outside the scope of the course itself (the
course _uses_ decorators, but doesn't explain how to actually build
them), but not beyond the grasp of someone who's mastered Python's
fundamentals.

ChrisA