Terminology: “reference” versus “pointer” (was: Python handles globals badly.)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Sep 12 06:27:38 CEST 2015

Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> writes:

> Honestly, whether you want to call the thing a pointer or a reference,
> you have to call it *something*, and I think "reference" is a worse
> fit based on its connotations from C++. Whatever you call it, it's an
> arrow on a diagram.

With the significant difference that “pointer” implies that it has its
own value accessible directly by the running program, such as a pointer
in C.

That's different from a “reference”, which to my understanding implies
the running program does *not* normally have direct access to it as a
distinct value. The only way you can use a reference is to get at the
object to which it refers.

That's the distinction I've been reying on for years, anyway: Python's
names are references, collections are collections of references, etc.
They aren't pointers because you can't get them as a distinct value; you
can only use them to refer to the object at the other end.

--
 \         “If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we |
  `\           despise, we don't believe in it at all.” —Noam Chomsky, |