Failed to update the os.environ with subprocess.Popen.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Apr 3 00:24:16 EDT 2016

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 01:29 pm, Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use the following code to update the os.environ with subprocess.Popen:

I don't understand what you are trying to do here. But regardless of your
intention, the problem you have is nothing to do with updating os.environ.
Proof: change the last line from this complicated expression:

os.environ.update(line.partition('=')[::2] for line in output.split('\0'))

to this simple expression:

output.split('\0')

and you will get the same error. os.environ is irrelevant. Your problem is
only with Popen.

What makes you think that Popen objects have a split() method? They are not
documented as having this method:

https://docs.python.org/2/library/subprocess.html

https://docs.python.org/3/library/subprocess.html

https://pymotw.com/2/subprocess/