Guido sees the light: PEP 8 updated

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:05:48 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016, at 08:55, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > Like, it ends up looking like this:
> >
> > if foo("what if it's a much longer condition"):                # comment
> >                                                  do something  #
> >                                                  comment2
> >
> > There's no way to get this:
> >
> > if foo("what if it's a much longer condition"):  # comment
> >     do something                                 # comment2
>
> I get it looking quite nice if I put a tab between "foo" and "("
> Is that an acceptable solution?? Dunno...

No, because what if "foo" is much longer? You could put a tab after
"if", but that means while-blocks are indented further than if-blocks.
And that just delays the problem to the third indent block, you've got
to find something to line that up to.

if foo("blah blah blah"):       # comment
    if bar("etc etc etc etc"):  # comment
        do stuff                # comment

becomes

if foo  ("blah blah blah"):                        # comment
        if bar               ("etc etc etc etc"):  # comment
                             do stuff              # comment

Maybe what we really need is a way to _display_ a multiline comment at
the right margin (and hanging down for as many lines as it needs),
without having it baked into the source code that way.

Source file contains:
### Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Etiam
### ut mattis leo. In sed arcu gravida, consequat tellus placerat,
### ullamcorper metus.
if foo:
    if bar:
        do stuff
###
some other stuff

(the last ### is just an empty comment to push stuff after it down past
the first comment - if another comment is there instead, it will be
displayed starting from the "some other stuff" line)

Displays as:

if foo:           # Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
    if bar:       # adipiscing elit. Etiam ut mattis leo. In sed
        do stuff  # arcu gravida, consequat tellus