Using valid emails

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Mon Aug 1 12:05:15 EDT 2016

Time to change the subject.

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 01:30:47 +1000
Gordon Levi <gordon at address.invalid> wrote:
> "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at Vex.Net> wrote:
> ><gordon at address.invalid>: Host or domain name not found. Name service
> >error for name=address.invalid type=AAAA: Host not found
> >
> >So I have to examine every address I reply to or deal with the bounce
> >message later.  Way to move your spam problem to someone else.
>
> .invalid is specified in RFC 2606 for exactly that purpose. If you
> don't notice that the address is invalid a server very close to you,

Sure so either I have to stop and examine the address or else deal with
the bounce from my SMTP server.  Isn't that what I said?

> probably your SMTP server, will tell you. In contrast, your valid
> email address will become the target of many spam emails even if you
> manage to block them. It will also be used as the source of spam so
> somebody at vex.net may be fooled into believing that they are
> receiving a proper email.

I'm a little insulted that you think that I would ever allow someone to
send mail to Vex.Net pretending to be from Vex.Net.  That's just too
easy to detect and block.  Try it.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net