Why not allow empty code blocks?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Wed Aug 3 08:09:12 EDT 2016

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:
> So yes scheme are python have similar underbellies but the culture of
> use is quite different.

I don't know if there's enough Scheme activity out there to call it a
culture.

As far as underbellies go, Scheme macros and operators are not
first-class. The Kernel programming language (<URL: http://klisp.org/>)
addresses this flaw.

> Note: You CAN use python scheme-ishly but few people do that.

I don't know who or what you are referring to. About the only Schemey
things not available to Python are tail recursion elimination and
macros. From the little I have seen, Scheme programmers use tail
recursion too little and macros too much.

> So people can use python functionally but somehow have the idea that
> imperative is easier/more natural/what-have-you

In that regard, I don't see much difference in Scheme and Python
practices.

> Python has a rich COLLECTION of data structures
> Scheme really has just one — S-exp

Scheme has all kinds of data structures.

> Then there are motley little things that make python
> beginner-unfriendly.

I can hardly imagine a programming language that would be better-suited
for complete beginners.

Scheme for beginning programmers could be like abstract algebra for
kindergartners.

Marko