Python slang

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 22:33:57 EDT 2016

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 1:25:43 AM UTC+5:30, Marco Sulla wrote:
> On 6 August 2016 at 02:13, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Marco Sulla wrote:
> >> I want to clarify that when I say "different from the other
> >> languages", I mean "different from the most used languages", that in
> >> my mind are C/C++, C#, Java, PHP and Javascript, mainly.
> >>

> > Ah, well, that's because those are all one family of languages. If
> > instead you were familiar with four LISPy languages, you'd have a
> > completely different set of expectations.
>
> Well, they are the most used languages. I think about the 80% of
> programmers knows at least one of that languages.

True

> It's more simple to learn a new language if it's similar to the others.

Not true

At a specific level (of programming languages) :
http://blog.languager.org/2015/06/functional-programming-moving-target.html
talks of functional programming taking about 50 years to get mainstream

More generally:
http://blog.languager.org/2016/01/how-long.html
is a collection of examples showing how humans en masse can persist in error
for hundreds, sometimes thousands, of years