What's the best way to minimize the need of run time checks?

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Fri Aug 12 09:33:39 EDT 2016

On 12/08/2016 12:55, BartC wrote:
> On 12/08/2016 12:07, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>> The first time I ever compiled a full-sized application (not a particular
>> large one either, it was a text editor a little more featureful than
>> Notepad) it took something like nine hours to compile on a Mac SE
>> (this was
>> circa 1990).
>
> That is completely crazy even for 1990.

(So crazy that you must either have added a couple of zeros or there's
something unusual you haven't mentioned (maybe the SE was emulating
another machine and that emulator was interpreted - badly. Or the files
were at the other end of a 300baud connection.)

A build time of nine hours means 3 lines per second for a 100Kloc app,
and 30 lps for a 1Mloc app.)

--
Bartc