type lookuperror

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Aug 18 12:21:26 EDT 2016

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 1:28 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> What is needed is an automated methodology to derive algorithmic
>> solutions to formally specified features. Since there are only a
>> handful of tools in a programmer's toolbox, that objective doesn't
>> seem at all impossible. The big question is, is it possible to
>> specify features formally without actually coding them?
>
> If you're specifying them formally, you're probably coding them. Any
> form sufficiently well-defined for a program to analyze is basically
> code already. It might be a goal-based syntax rather than action-based
> (eg contrast SQL's way of saying "these are the rows I want" with
> classic imperative programming), but it's still code, it's still
> software, it's still not the Singularity.

Yeah, I believe truly conscious machines will arise without being
designed through technological evolution. First they'll develop
electronics that can simulate brain cells; the clumsy gadgets will be
used to replaced cells damaged by Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. Then,
healthy people will start enhancing their brain functions by using the
same technology. Over time, wetware will be replaced by hardware, and
the hardware, in turn, will migrate to the cloud.

Steven Lisberger saw this already way back: <URL:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron>.

Once we run on Google's server farms, we can back ourselves up as
snapshots and clone ourselves indefinitely. That will be one big
identity crisis. Even further along, maybe the intercommunication
between the virtual selves will blur the lines between individuals, and
we'll merge into a pantheistic Nirvana (or infernal pandemonium).

Marko

PS Long before, though, we'll likely get direct communication ports to
our brains and be liberated from mice and keyboards (first) and speakers
and displays (a bit later).