psss...I want to move from Perl to Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:53:51 EST 2016

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 9:15:38 PM UTC-6, Chris Angelico wrote:
> That said, though, I would GREATLY prefer Rick to post
> less provocatively.

I'll admit that my tone can "sometimes" be acerbic, but
it's not like i was attacking someone for *NO* justifiable
reason, in fact, my response was not an attack at all, but
merely, a plea.

There is no doubt that a strong undercurrent of "militant
anti-OOP" exists within this group (I know, because i've
witnessed it for years), and those same militants have
attempted to cast *ME* as a some sort of "religious OOP
fanatic" -- but nothing could be further from the truth!

Yes, (sigh) i've written a lot of Java code (quick, muster
the militants!), and whilst I feel that the structural
rigidity that java demands *does* encourage good
programmers to write consistent code, it *does not* prevent
poor programmers from writing garbage, nor does it allow me
to fully express myself. Heck, Python's "multi-paradigm"
nature, is IMHO, one of it's greatest strengths!!!

We humans crave familiarity, because, those concepts that
are familiar to us don't require any thought, no, we just
wield them instinctively. However, we loath the unfamiliar,
because, the unfamiliar requires us to expend mental effort
*LEARNING* about the concept, *BEFORE* we can benefit from the
fruits of it's power. Therefore, "the familiar" is like
having a "slightly cool, diseased-donkey-piss beer" in your
hand, and "the unfamiliar" is like having an "ice-cold,
quality craft beer" way down in your basement refrigerator
-- sometimes, we'd rather drink donkey-piss, than get off
the couch.

> But I'm not calling for his banning any more than I'd call
> for Terry's, or my own, for that matter (I've posted
> plenty of off-topic or otherwise useless posts).

Chris, we don't always agree, but when we do, i must admit,
it's always a *VERY* pleasurable experience. Thank you! :-)