What is the common technique used to cross-reference in module's method?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Mar 17 07:09:50 EDT 2016

jfong at ms4.hinet.net wrote:

> There are two modules (say model.py and piece.py) which has methods need
> to refer to each other module's methods. I saw in a book using the way
> below, by assigning one (the Model) object to an attribute of the other
> (the Piece) bject. -------------
> ##model.py
> import piece
> class Model(dict):
>     def all_occupied_positions(self):
>
>     def reset_to_initial_locations(self):
>         self.clear()
>         for position, value in START_PIECES_POSITION.items():
>             self[position] = piece.create_piece(value)
>             self[position].model = self

I'd pass self to the factory

              self[position] = piece.create_piece(self, value)

> ##piece.py
> def create_piece(value):  # Note: it's a function
>    return eval(...)  # the returned object is a Piece object

and would avoid the eval().

> class Piece():
>     def moves_available(self):
>         model = self.model
>         if item not in model.all_occupied_positions():
> Is it a common way of doing this?

Yes, but it creates a reference cycle; if you want to avoid that for
philosophical reasons or to save memory when there are many children (here:
pieces) you have to provide the context (the model in this case) explicitly

def moves_available(self, model):

> Why the author use the same module name "model" for those attribute and
> local names? Is it a good idea or bad?

The name "model" and "piece" look natural for both the module and the
instance. Does it confuse you? then it's bad ;)