Threading is foobared?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Mar 26 23:18:52 EDT 2016

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> Am I the only one who has noticed that threading of posts here is
> severely broken? It's always been the case that there have been a few
> posts here and there that break threading, but now it seems to be much
> more common.

I can't give an objective assessment of whether it has increased or to
what extent.

Thanks for pointing out an objective symptom, though: munging of the
message ID values in various fields.

The resulting broken threads are a constant source of annoyance. I don't
know whether any one host is the culprit, or whether there are many
hosts that are munging the message IDs.

What you've demonstrated is that at least one host is violating
communication standards by altering existing reference fields on
messages in transit.

--
 \      “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his |
  `\   salary depends upon his not understanding it.” —Upton Sinclair, |