Threading is foobared?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Mar 27 06:29:14 EDT 2016

On 27/03/2016 07:25, Random832 wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016, at 23:18, Ben Finney wrote:
>> What you've demonstrated is that at least one host is violating
>> communication standards by altering existing reference fields on
>> messages in transit.
>
> The usenet gateway relays posts that originated on the mailing list to
> usenet with their *Message-ID* replaced wholesale with
> "<mailman.*.python-list at python.org>" - 90% of the time when I've traced
> a broken thread this has been to blame, and I've complained at least
> twice of this before, once not two weeks ago.

And I apologise because I saw that complaint and had meant to reply. In
short, it's not the list owners who manage the gateway but rather the
mailman administrators for the whole of the python.org lists. I do
remember some discussion / explanation of possible problems when the
mailman version was upgraded a few months ago. I'll try to dig those out
and follow up with the people involved.

FWIW I assume the issue is with the mail -> news gateway as I see no
problems with the mailing list threading (at least using TB on Windows)
and the archive doesn't appear to lose threading either AFAICT. Please
feel free to point out if I'm wrong about that.

TJG