Python-based monads essay (Re: Assignment versus binding)

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Sun Oct 9 07:17:18 EDT 2016

On 09/10/2016 11:35, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Paul Rubin wrote:
>> Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>>
>>> http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/essays/monads/DemystifyingMonads.html
>>>

>> https://byorgey.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/abstraction-intuition-and-the-monad-tutorial-fallacy/
>>

> Well, at least I refrained from saying that monads are
> like burritos!
>
> I don't claim that everyone will suddenly understand
> everything there is to know about monads after reading
> my essay. But maybe it will help some people understand
> a little bit. It certainly couldn't help anyone if I
> didn't write it.

I think the easiest way to deal with monads is pretend they don't exist.
(I've no idea what they are, but from glancing at your essay, they look
complicated.)

Even if someone did struggle for a week to figure out what they mean and
how to use them, how is anyone else supposed to understand their code?
How is anyone going to have confidence that any such code will work?

And Python (suddenly remembering which group this is) is supposed to be
more accessible than other languages. It's not Haskell.

--
Bartc