Python-based monads essay (Re: Assignment versus binding)

Anuradha Laxminarayan lanuradha at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:19:32 EDT 2016

On Sunday, 9 October 2016 13:18:32 UTC+5:30, Gregory Ewing  wrote:
> Here's the first part of the essay I said I'd write about
> monads:
>
> http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/essays/monads/DemystifyingMonads.html
>
> Hope it's useful,
> Greg

Thanks, that made a very interesting read.

In Haskell, the type M a -> M b-> M b tells a good deal of the story of seq

In a Pythonic context, continuations seem to be an effective way to carry that story.

Small minor haskell suggestions from a pedagodic pov
[related to Ben Finney's suggestion?]

seq f g h = f (\s1 -> g h s1)

better be written as

seq f g x = f (\s1 -> g x s1)

because naming conventions imply that h is function.

- Anuradha