Bigotry (you win, I give up)

Rurpy rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 12:23:42 EDT 2017


On 04/18/2017 04:34 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The charge has been examined and dropped. Steven did not violate the
>>> CoC. Please stop talking as if he has. He *was accused of* violating
>>> it, and then found innocent.
>>
>> Which post are you referring to (can you provide a URL)? I'd like to see
>> who came to that conclusion, what their wording was, and what their
>> authority was to do so.
> 
> I was referring to your post, in which a fairly solid argument was
> made for there being no guilt. Maybe you don't have any specific
> authority, but until someone actually acts in a moderatorial role,
> solid arguments are plenty authoritative enough for most of us.
> Particularly for the newsgroup people, where there is no central
> authority at all.

Hey Ben and Chris, 

Forget that last post of mine.  On thinking things over I can see 
now the "judgment" that has been made by your solid arguments and 
the weakness of my counter arguments.  I'm ready to accede to your 
judgment and I hope you bear me no grudge because oue my failure to
see your point immediately.  But I am still a little unclear on a 
couple things which I humbly request you straighten me out on...

Is it only the two stereotypes that were discussed, "ugly americans" 
and "too old to learn" old people that are acceptable?  Or are any 
stereotypes ok?

We all know that Jews stick together and accumulate lots of money.
(Not all of them of course, maybe not even a majority or plurality 
of them, I just mean just the ones that fit the stereotype.) Can 
I use that stereotype?  And obviously not to attack or criticize 
Jews, I would never do that because I am not a bigot.  I mean, use 
it only to point out objectionable behavior like avarice to someone.  
It's now ok if I call him a "greedy Jew", yes?  (And only if he 
is acting/speaking like one!  I know this is not a carte blanche 
to hurl around ethnic slurs.)

Of course there are many, many more stereotypes than just those
so if you could give us an idea how to decide which stereotypes 
are ok and which aren't, I'd really appreciate it.  Maybe you 
could make a list and post it here?

This is only scratching the surface but maybe you could use 
it as a start?
  culturally insensitive americans
  rude french people
  money-hungry jews
  terrorist moslems
  criminal or stupid black people
  unable-to-learn old people
  senile old people
  math, science and programming-inept women
  emotional women
  racist conservatives
  racist misogynist violent Trump supporters
  silly emotion-driven liberals
  rapist immigrants
  weak-willed fat people
  egotistical narcissistic buff people
  japanese people with bad teeth
  backward anti-science catholics
  dirty chinese people

I don't think stupid black people or senile old people should 
be allowable because those are not choosable *behaviors*.  
But is unable-to-learn old people a choosable behavior?  You
said that's ok.  And emotional women, that's a tough one.  
Are they emotional because of choice or hormones?

Also, I'm assuming we can all use stereotypes now but maybe 
that's wrong.  Could it be that only Steven is allowed to use 
them?  Or Steven, Ben, Chris and some other thought-leaders 
of this group?  Or maybe it's only people who have been members 
for a certain length of time or a certain number of posts?  
Again, I'd really appreciate it if you could clarify.

I apologize for all the questions and sorry for sounding like 
a silly emotion-driven liberal before!


More information about the Python-list mailing list