The hardest problem in computer science...

Tim Chase python.list at
Fri Jan 6 09:01:28 EST 2017

On 2017-01-06 13:44, Dan Sommers wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 00:03:37 +1100, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> > what do we call the vertical and horizontal line elements? I want
> > to make them configurable, which means the user has to be able to
> > pass an argument that specifies them ...
> pstree(1) calls them "line drawing characters,"

I second the use of "drawing characters" as I've seen them described
as "line-drawing characters", "box drawing characters", or "tree
drawing characters" depending on the context.

Wikipedia seems to favor "box drawing characters"

Takes me back to my ascii-art days on BBSes. :-)


More information about the Python-list mailing list