Installation issue with Python 3.6.1 for 64 bit Windows

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 12:39:49 EDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 4:01 AM, arjun.janah <arjun.janah at gmail.com> wrote:

> I ran the file and it appeared to install properly. But when I tried to run Python from
> the Windows All Programs menu tab, I got the following message, in a small
> window by the window with a black screen:
> python.exe - System Error
> The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from
> your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
>
> I tried the following:
>
> (a) restarting Windows and trying again: same result;
>
> (a) running the installer file again and selecting repair:
> this stalled for a long time so I had to abort it;
>
> (b) restarting my computer, running the installer file again and selecting uninstall:
> this uninstalled Python, so it said;
>
> (c) running the installer file again and choosing install: this installed Python afresh.
> But then I had the same problem as at the start when I tried to run Python.

Python's installer should try to install the Universal C runtime
update, but this seems to fail frequently. If you want to help improve
the installer, zip up Python's installation logs that are in your
%Temp% directory to a single zip file; open an issue on
bugs.python.org; and attach the zip file to the issue.

You probably didn't get the CRT update from Windows Update because you
don't have the option enabled to install recommended updates. Anyway,
you can manually download and install Windows6.1-KB3118401-x64.msu
(the 64-bit version for NT 6.1, i.e. Windows 7) from the following
site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50410