How to Generate dynamic HTML Report using Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:21:57 EST 2017

Chris Angelico wrote:
> Gregory Ewing
> >
> > It looks like I'm going to have to filter Mr. Ram's posts
> > out of my usenet feed as well, lest I accidentally show
> > one of his URIs as a link on my screen.
>
> Or, just ignore his copyright altogether, and let him prove
> its defensibility in court. Can you actually enforce that
> EVERY usenet server carry out your wishes?

Although it's quite possible that what Stefan is doing here
_might_ be in accordance with the _letter_ of copyright law --
OTOH -- this "forced distribution" that Stefan is engageing
in, would seem to violate the _spirit_ of copyright law.

For instance, if we consider that copyright law was created
to protect intellectual property (IP), and furthermore, we
consider that copyrighted material is typically made
_available_ to the public[1] by IP owners, but not _forced_
on the public by IP owners, then we realize that what Stefan
is doing is the latter case.

So, by intentionally injecting this "licensed IP" into
public discourse, Stefan is indeed violating the spirit of
copyright law, and in fact, is using copyright law in a very
irresponsible, and arguably very rude, manner. It would seem
logical to me that Stefan's behavior should be judged as
unethical[2] and would therefore undermine the contract
between IP owners and the "doe-eyed consumers" of that IP,
rendering it null and void.

But history has proven that law is neither just nor logical.
So whether a court would agree with my interpretation is yet
to be determined. Of course, as is the case with tax
advisers, every court seems to have it's own unique
interpretation of the law. Which would lead me to the
troubling conclusion that our Western legal systems are
poorly designed, corrupt, or both.

[1] IOW, the public consumes this IP or uses this IP _fully_
_knowing_ beforehand that they are bound by a license
agreement. Which is not the cause here! Plus there are the
issues that Chris brings up concerning automated
dissemination.

[2] As forcing people to consume your product simply so you
can weild IP rights over them is a violation of individual
liberty recognized by every western democracy i know of, or
at least every definition of individual liberty that i am
aware of.