Increasing the diversity of people who write Python (was:

nospam.Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:37:00 EST 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could go one step more sophisticated and use TeX-input method
> (C-x RET C-\)
> After which \'e will collapse as ÄC
> â £Yeah ok but how the ^)*^$# am I to remember the mantra \'e?!â Ø you may
ask
> Trueâ | So as you rightly do,
> - pick it up from google
> - put emacs into tex input mode
> - paste from google into emacs
> - place point on the new char and type C-u C-x =
>   Among other things emacs will helpfully inform you (among other things)
>   to input: type "\'{e}" or "\'e" with TeX input method

Which is closely related to the Compose key input method that I use. First, you
 assign a key on your keyboard to be Compose (at least on all my systems, there
 isn't one by default); I use the key between left Ctrl and left Alt. Then you
have certain key sequences available that involve holding Compose and pressing
something, and then pressing something else. In the same way that you might
press Ctrl-X, Q to do something, you could press Compose-T, M to produce âäø.
Sounds complicated, but it's not. It's right enough. All your accented letters
can be created with Compose-accent, letter - eg Compose-apostrophe, e => ÄC, or
 Compose-backtick, a => Ä .

Not sure what systems that's supported on. I use Debian GNU/Linux with Xfce; I
believe the Compose key handling is all done by X11, so it should be fairly
widely available at least on Linux-derived systems.

ChrisA