Increasing the diversity of people who write Python (was: Benefits of unicode identifiers)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 12:46:02 EST 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 1:55 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 8:07:47 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:
>> > You could go one step more sophisticated and use TeX-input method
>> > (C-x RET C-\)
>> > After which \'e will collapse as é
>> > “Yeah ok but how the ^)*^$# am I to remember the mantra \'e?!” you may ask
>> > True… So as you rightly do,
>> > - pick it up from google
>> > - put emacs into tex input mode
>> > - paste from google into emacs
>> > - place point on the new char and type C-u C-x =
>> >   Among other things emacs will helpfully inform you (among other things)
>> >   to input: type "\'{e}" or "\'e" with TeX input method
>>
>> Which is closely related to the Compose key input method that I use.
>> First, you assign a key on your keyboard to be Compose (at least on
>> all my systems, there isn't one by default); I use the key between
>> left Ctrl and left Alt.
>
> Ha Ha So you wont speak the unspeakable?¿!¡

Heh, you mean the term "Windows key"? It's not appropriate on
keyboards that don't have an actual Windows logo on it. There are
other names for it, but I figured the easiest way was to describe its
location :D

But yes, that key. If you have a Windows key, you can assign it to be
the Compose key. Or, of course, you could redefine left control, so
that Ctrl-X is with the right key and Compose-X is with the left one.
Or any other key you like.

ChrisA