Pros and cons of Python sources?

Andrew Z formisc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 16:34:07 EST 2017

Martin,
 Im Late to the party, but my (newbish) .02

I learned hard way not to mix rpm and pip (im on fedora).

Yes, pip ...-user is what i use now exclusively.

I doubt you can _easily_ clean everything up..especially considering that a
few linux core utils depend on python nowadays.
 Maybe you can try to "brute-force" it , by using : dnf/rpm --whatprovides
..| sort -u
And comparing with pip list.. (just a general idea).

You may also try to stand up a vm and compare lists from there too... (
agly, but will get the work done)

I have same mess as you do, but with python3. In my situation, i know i
messed something, because matplot would not graph anything despite my best
efforts. One day (in next e-6 months) when i get very annoyed with this
problem, ill wipe clean the machine and reinstall from scratch.

On Nov 27, 2017 15:25, "Martin Schöön" <martin.schoon at gmail.com> wrote:

Den 2017-11-26 skrev Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>:
> On 26Nov2017 10:00, nospam.Martin Schöön <martin.schoon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Hmm, I seem to remember not being able to install packages with pip
unless I
>>did sudo pip.
>
> And this is exactly what I'm warning about. Many Linux users see some
kind of
> failure and just stick sudo on the front of the command. It is almost
always
> the wrong things to do, leading to effects in the OS install area instead
of
> being safely contained within one's home directory or work area.
>
> Instead of reaching straight for sudo, look at pip's manual or help. You
will
> find that:
>
>   pip install --user ...
>
> installs modules local to your home directory, avoiding troublesome
installs
> into the OS area.

Guilty as charged.

So, how do I restore order in my Python 2.7 installation? Uninstall
everything that looks, smells and tastes like Python 2.7 and then
re-install?

/Martin