[OT] - Re: Has anyone worked on docker with windows

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:49:16 EST 2017

Marking this message as off topic, since it has nothing much to do with
Python and Python programming.  In fact this whole thread should have
been started on a Docker-specific forum, mailing list, or USENET group.
To the original poster: you should visit the Docker web site and access
the community resources they have there:

https://www.docker.com/docker-community

On 11/29/2017 09:03 PM, Percival John Hackworth wrote:
> To clarify, I think the OP was asking if they could Windows inside a Docker
> container. Since Docker uses the kernel of the OS it's running on, that would
> mean it would have to run natively on Windows.

Unless things have changed Docker has always been about running Linux
software in Linux containers on all supported OSes, which includes Mac
and Windows. On Mac and Windows this requires running a VM, although now
with Docker for Windows it can run the Linux containers on the
integrated HyperV virtualization system, so you don't necessarily need
to install VirtualBox or VMWare.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/cloud-platform/containers

> Back in January, it didn't run on Windows. Now apparently you can run a
> Windows 10 or Server 2016 environment in a container. I would think, given
> the architecture of Docker, that you can only do this on a Windows machine,
> not a Linux box. So the ability to containerize an application on Linux and
> run it anywhere Docker is installed (even MacOS) only applicable to Linux
> apps.

Docker has run on Windows since very early on.  Not quite sure why you
say it didn't run on Windows back in January.

As for running Windows applications in a Windows container, this is not
possible using any container technology I'm aware of.  I'm sure MS could
one day build Windows-centric containerization into Windows, but there's
no support now.  I guess they haven't figured out how to work out the
licensing.  Proprietary licensing and containers would be complex.