OT again sorry [Re: Interactive scripts (back on topic for once) [was Re: The "loop and a half"]]

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sun Oct 8 09:24:03 EDT 2017

Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> The thing that *really* annoys me is Linux insisting on colourising
> the output to a tty, since it invariably seems to pick an undreadable
> colour scheme. And the case-insensitive sorting... there's a reason
> Makefile starts with a capital M, dammit!

As most things, that's configurable, for example I have the following in one
of my teenager .bashxxx scripts:

  # Old-school ordering, upcase letters before lowercase
  export LC_COLLATE=C

  # Format dates accordingly to the language
  export TIME_STYLE=locale

As others said already, it's difficult-to-impossible to get a
one-size-fits-all configuration that satisfies everybody (where the
cardinality of "everybody" exceeds 1, of course).

ciao, lele.
lele at metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.