how to read in the newsreader

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:23:50 EDT 2017

On 10/16/2017 08:52 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> For that situation, reading mailing lists as mails in gmail is the
> best option I've been able to find (not ideal, but adequate).
> Paul

Gmail's web interface is completely broken as far as mailing lists are
concerned.  Conversation view in no way is adequate for the more
complex, multi-person threads that are common.  Gmail does not preserve
the flow and context of such emails.

However Gmail over IMAP is adequate.  There is the issue of in IMAP
gmail will silently through away your replies to messages when they come
through the mailing list server, which is a pretty serious and
long-standing brokenness.  But if you send messages via a different smtp
server than gmail's, it doesn't do that.

If reading the list from anywhere is important, one can always use a
web-based mail client like RoundCube against Gmail's IMAP server.