Old Man Yells At Cloud

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 22 00:19:18 EDT 2017

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 02:00 pm, Rick Johnson wrote:

> I think it's grossly unfair to label those who's lives
> have been up-ended by the backwards incompatible changes of
> Python3 as "haters".

Nobody, not one person, has ever had their life upended by Python 3.

People have their lives upended by war, by disease, by serious injury, by
natural disasters. They have their lives upended by losing their home to the
bank, or in an earthquake, or a hurricane. They have their lives upended by
cancer, by bombs, by serious car accidents, by floods and fires.

Having to spend a few hours being paid to migrate code using "print x"
to "print(x)", or even a few months, is not a life-changing experience.

> Most of these people did not want or
> even need these changes,

If they didn't want somebody else making the decision, they should have invented
their own language and used that instead.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.