Grumpy-pants spoil-sport

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Tue Sep 26 06:33:05 EDT 2017

Op 26-09-17 om 12:09 schreef Marko Rauhamaa:
> Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at vub.be>:
>
>> That wont happen as long as people continue to do damage with e.g.
>> claiming that the python assignment is not an alias operation.
>>
>> There is IMO no conceptual damage by regarding the call semantics
>> as call by reference.
> I don't think the clear description of Python's semantics requires the
> use of such terms ("alias", "call by XXX"). It would be enough to
> specify what actually happens.

I agree, but the fact that one doesn't require a particular word to
explain something, doesn't mean it is correct to deny that the word
is appropiate.

I can describe the top surface of my head, without requiring the use
of the word "bald". Yet those who would deny that "bald" would be
an adequate description, would be wrong.

--
Antoon Pardon.