Attachments

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Mon Jun 4 17:14:35 EDT 2018

On 2018-06-04 22:59:52 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:
> Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > On 2018-06-04 16:34:08 +0000, Peter Pearson wrote:

> >> Comp.lang.python is a usenet newsgroup, also accessible through a mailing
> >> list (and, I think, a web interface).  NNTP, the Network News Transfer
> >> Protocol, does not provide for attachments.
> >
> > This is not true. NNTP doesn't care about the content of the message at
> > all (as long as it contains the few mandatory headers). As a case in
> > point, Jach Fong's message got here fine (including the attachment) via
[...]
> > So we have determined that "the forum" is not the mailing list and not
> > the newsgroup (Jach's message appeared on both with the attachment). Ben
> > uses Gmane, which makes it likely that he is talking about a
> > (mis)feature of Gmane,
>
> However, I did see that particular particular attachment, test.py in Jach's
> original post, and I'm reading c.l.py via gmane.

comp.lang.python or gmane.comp.python.general? (I see the latter but not
the former on gmane, but I'm accessing it anonymously which might make a
difference.) But yes, I also just checked gmane and the attachment is
there. So we don't know why Ben didn't see the attachment (or thought
that others might not see it).

        hp