syntax difference

Bart bart at 1
Sun Jun 24 12:18:36 EDT 2018

  To: boB Stepp
From: Bart <bc at freeuk.com>

On 24/06/2018 00:44, boB Stepp wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 5:35 PM Bart <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> I'm not a user...
>
> Then I am truly puzzled, Bart.  Why do you even bother to hang out on
> this list?  If you do not want to use Python and you do not want to
> improve Python's design and implementation, what is your point of
> being here?

I wonder why it is just me that constantly needs to justify his existence in
this group?

Does someone need to be that much of a user of a language in order to discuss
its design or its features or its efficiency, or how it compares with any
other? You can do that from without as well as from within.

Anyway I'm not here that often, I pop in from time to time when something
interesting comes that I feel I can comment about. And yes I sometimes do that
as a diversion because I enjoy this discussing this stuff. Why, is that
allowed?

As for why Python, it's the dynamic language I'm most familiar with, and I've
been following it since the 1990s.

Here's a small selection of threads I've posted in:

  Why not allow empty code blocks

  Python and the need for speed

  Building CPython

  What is a function parameter =[] for

  Considering migrating to Python from Visual Basic...

  How to read from a file to an arbitrary delimiter efficiently

  Python 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?

  The cost of Dynamism

  Case Statements  [15-Mar-2016]

The last is interesting. The OP there follows up with:

  "You have apparently mistaken me for someone who's worried.
  I don't use Python, I was just curious as to why a construct
  that is found, not only to be useful in 95% of other languages,
  but is generally considered more flexible and readable than the
  if-elif, was missing in Python.  (your link 'Switch Statement
  Code Smell' not withstanding)"

Many of the posters are explaining why Python doesn't have it, why they think
the feature is so poor, and ways to get around the lack of it. Mine defend the
feature.

You're saying I shouldn't be allowed to put an alternative point of view
because I don't use Python enough? I would say that because I
/implement/ such features all the time in other languages, that my
opinion is worthwhile.

But people do seem to like to wind me up, and I like to defend my corner, so
posts tend to proliferate.

--
bart.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3