2.7 EOL = 2020 January 1

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 13 19:45:34 EDT 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 10:58:42 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On March 10, on thread "Python 2.7 -- bugfix or security before EOL?",
> Guido van Russum wrote
>
> "The way I see the situation for 2.7 is that EOL is January 1st, 2020,
> and there will be no updates, not even source-only security patches,
> after that date. Support (from the core devs, the PSF, and python.org)
> stops completely on that date. If you want support for 2.7 beyond that
> day you will have to pay a commercial vendor. [...]"

*dances a happy dance*

Thanks Terry for posting the message, thanks Guido for drawing a line in
the sand and sticking with it, and thanks to all the core devs who have
worked so hard to keep the transition from 2 -> 3 as gentle as possible.

Like Python 1 before it, Python 2 has been a wonderful language to work
with, but it is long past time to move on to Python 3. Or pay for the
support. We can only ask volunteers for so much.

--
Steve