[OT] master/slave debate in Python

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Sep 24 17:15:48 EDT 2018

On Monday 24 September 2018 16:40:22 Kirill Balunov wrote:

> пн, 24 сент. 2018 г. в 22:46, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
> > The trouble is that making changes like this with a view to
> > eliminating the words "master" and "slave" from all docs and
> > comments (rather than making them to improve clarity and accuracy)
> > opens up the leverage that SJWs need. "Hey, you changed that because
> > we hate slavery - now you'd better eliminate all references to
> > 'black' because we hate racism". So clear boundaries need to be set.

At least forty Rogers on that. No one should get their political panties
jammed in the crack over terminology thats likely older than they are.
And anybody that does is nothing but a troublemaker, and probably should
be /gently/ treated as such.

> It seems to me that the word "black" has immunity in the next two
> Python releases ;)  So do not worry so much!
>
> But honestly, it's not pleasant to see how such holy things spread
> into the world of OSS, and this is apparently only the beginning.

Yes except the beginning was years, even many decades ago, the only thing
really changed is the names we use to describe it. Each generation seems
to be bent on makeing a bigger stink than their parents made. It isn't
pretty, and is best handled by turning down ones hearing aid. Sometimes
they are smart enough to realize they are being ignored and will adjust
their attitude.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)